Ecosia -The Green Search
People search the web with Ecosia, which facilitates the donation of 80% of its ad revenue to a rainforest protection program.
Target Audience: Everyday web users,
Website URL: http://www.ecosia.org
- Visit www.ecosia.org. Is it clear (or easy to find out) what the site is about?
- How do you feel about the design? What about the concept?
- Try a search (images, video, maps or news): are you happy with the results? Why or why not?
- Is any other part of the search / site experience lacking?
- Any other suggestions, complaints or comments?
Ecosia is a social business dedicated to environmental sustainability via the donation of revenue to WWF’s rainforest protection programs. Its best-known service, the search engine mask at Ecosia.org, is powered by Bing and Yahoo. It lets an essential and routine task â€“ searching the web â€“ double as an ecological contribution: not only are Ecosia search emissions offset, but every click on a sponsored ad within Ecosia translates into either cents for the environment – or cents for generating more cents for the environment. Cents may not sound like much, but they certainly add up: Ecosia was able to generate just under 125,000 Euros (164,000 USD) for rainforest protection in just the first year.
Here is a short video on how Ecosia works: