Successful small businesses and startups use accounting software to manage and control their finances. Everything which includes customizing and sending invoices, tracking payment and expenses, managing inventory, reporting, estimation and more are made easier with the best accounting software.
For startup and small business owners who may not grasp much about accounting or simply not into it, getting the right tool to keep a bird’s-eye view on where and how your money is circulating is crucial. Without further due, in this review article, we have researched and compiled the best accounting software for startups and small businesses that will make your life much easier.
Table of Contents
These are some of The Best Accounting Software for Startups and Small Businesses:
If you are looking for roundup accounting software, then Xero is our top choice. Undoubtedly, this software is ideal for startups and small businesses. It incorporates everything you need to manage your invoicing, bills, reporting, and more, hassle-free.
Via a customizable Xero dashboard, you can easily trace cash flowing in and out and keep track of it. Moreover, the dashboard displays simple to read charts exhibiting updated figures, daily. Besides, this accounting software can record, declare, and direct payments and receipts online. Along with this, it helps you streamline your transactions’ process with expert online quotes.
Xero stores all your confidential data and transactions in one place, allowing easy and secure access wherever you are. It also offers you new ways and approaches on how to better manage and control your small business fixed assets. You’ll be able to generate more profit, get paid faster thanks to the automated payment reminders, run infinite payroll, and more.
Plus, their official website offers you a comprehensive guide including tips and tricks on how to effectively and efficiently manage your small business for a better profit and secure progress. So, if you want to check it out, you can download or read their eBook guides on this page here.
How much does Xero cost?
Xero offers 3 pricing plans:
- Early plan costs $9 per month. This plan has limited invoices, bills, and bank transactions.
- Growing plan costs $30 per month
- Established plan costs $60 per month
The Free trial lasts 30 days.
- Simple and intuitive interface, easy to navigate through the different features
- Effortless integration with services like Stripe, PayPal and more
- Detailed reports and analytics on your business performance
- Great customer support
- Banks’ link breaks for no reason sometimes.
- The mobile application doesn’t update instantly
Wave is award-winning 3-in one package accounting software. So, it is typically created for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Offering 3 different products including accounting, invoicing, and receipts, this accounting software will bring you closer to your financial victory. In fact, the different products work effortlessly together for a powerful managing experience.
The easy to use accounting software is everything you need to run your incomes and expenses effectively. With that said, you can easily track your money flow and transactions. Wave is simple, reliable, and secured. For instance, the dashboard displays how your business is performing over an interval of time. Tax time is made easy with Wave’s intuitive and organized dashboard.
When it comes to security, Wave offers the ultimate protection and safety of your bank data by allowing read-only option and 256-bit encryption. Besides, this accounting software is PCI Level-1 verified for managing credit cards and bank record data. The best thing about it is that you can add partners, collaborators, or accountants limitlessly and for free. Moreover, you can also run different small businesses in one single account.
How much does Wave cost?
All Wave products are FREE to use. Clearly, there is no set-up payments, no secret charges, no monthly fee.
- Double-entry accounting software
- Powerful bookkeeping
- Unrestricted income and expense tracking
- Outstanding reports and analysis
- Effective organization
Payroll available only in the United States and Canada
Clearbooks is a SaaS accounting software. The software is tailored to meet the needs of small to medium businesses in all types of industries, contractors, traders, and more. It helps you take control and manage your payment, invoicing, and basic financial reporting.
Its core features include automated and customizable invoicing, file importing, VAT returns directly to HMRC. The software also exhibits a simple to read dashboard that is customized to meet your needs and help you manage your taxes. Besides, it uses advanced reporting to help you get a snapshot of your business performance. Some of the reporting features cover profit and loss, balance sheets, audit logs, and trial balance reports.
On the other hand, the dividends tool offers you a sheer number of templates that you can use to pay your shareholders effortlessly. The tool also allows you to inspect the annual tax report of a shareholder’s dividend returns and payments. Moreover, if you are transitioning from older software, you can easily import all your data to Clearbooks hassle-free. Nevertheless, you can connect with the customer support services for an expedite transition.
How much does Clearbooks cost?
Clearbooks offer 2 pricing plans:
- Small Plan costs $10 per month. This plan includes core features only.
- A large plan costs $22 per month. This plan includes the small plan features and other advanced features including multi-currency, Making Tax Digital VAT reporting, and CIS.
You can also pay yearly and enjoy a 10% discount, or 2-year subscription and enjoy a 20% off.
- Mobile accessible
- Customer support
- Over +170 currency accounting
- Mileage tracking
Need more adds-on
Less on Accounting and More on Working is the company’s vision. Many small businesses and freelancers use FreshBooks for their invoicing and money tracking. The software is easy to use, fast, and secure. And, it helps you to save your time and effort trying to figure out methods to manage your finances and accounting tasks. Instead, it allows you to focus more on managing your business.
Moreover, FreshBooks is a double-entry accounting software that distinguishes income details and their affiliated costs. Thus, it provides you a precise estimation of gains and losses. Automatic checks and balances guarantee equal costs for debit and credit which considerably decreases the risk of error especially when with taxes.
Some of the core Freshbooks accounting features include Balance Sheet, Trial Balance, General Ledger, Cost of Goods Sold, Chart of Accounts, Journal Entries, and more
How much does Freshbooks cost?
Freshbooks offer 4 pricing plans:
- Lite Plan costs $4.50 per month for 5 billable clients.
- Plus Plan costs $7.50 per month for 50 billable clients.
- Premium Plan costs $15 per month for 500 billable clients.
- Select Plan is custom pricing. You will need to get in touch with an inhouse financing specialist for more details.
You can use the yearly plan and enjoy a 10% discount. 30 days Free Trial.
- Safe and secure
- Easy to navigate interface
- Award-winning support system
- Easy invoice creation and tracking
- Good reporting
- More customization needs to be considered.
Sage 50 cloud accounting software has been offering trustworthy and cost-effective services to over 3 million users worldwide for more than 38 years now. With that said, it is one of the industry-leading software when it comes to accounting and financial management. The software is typically designed for small businesses, startups, and entrepreneurs. Hence, it empowers and supports them to work more efficiently to scale up their business.
Integrated with Microsoft office 365, the software offers excellent features and tools that will save you time and money and familiarize you with your business needs. Some of its essence features include:
- Financial management: You can have better control and tracking of your cash flow. Subsequently, it helps you stay updated with your clients’ and shareholders’ quotes and proposals. Not to mention, it records all your transactions and payments.
- Sales optimization
- Performance report: With a simple click, you can receive an analysis of sales, taxes, expenses, and profits.
- Remote access: You can access your account whenever you want and from any device. Moreover, The software offers multi-users features, allowing additional team members to use it once you permit them.
- Advanced security
- Compliance with: GAAC, CCPA, GDPR, EIN, W-2, and W-4 payroll, and more.
How much does the Sage 50 cloud cost?
Sage 50cloud offers 3 pricing plans:
- Pro accounting Plan costs $50.58 per month for 1 user.
- Premium accounting Plan costs $78.21 per month for 1 user, $126 per month for 3 users, and $185.13 per month for 5 users.
- Quantum accounting Plan costs $197.55 per month starting from 3 users, $251.01 per month for 5 users, and $329.31 per month for 10 users.
If you have a team of 11 members and more, you can contact them for a quote by calling them at 877-495-9904. Also, if you want to add Microsoft Office 365, you need to pay $150 per year.
- Easy to navigate interface
- Great resources and support
- Quick and accurate reporting
- Microsoft office 365
- Buggy sometimes
Quickbooks is dedicated to small businesses. Therefore, it helps you manage everything from one place effectively and efficiently. Hence, with the sheer number of features, you will surely enjoy using this software.
Some of this software’s core features include:
- Invoicing: You can either use the premade temple or create a customized template that meets with your needs and your brand image. The invoicing tools help you to convert quotes to invoices, track payments, and transactions in real-time. It also offers you Automatic invoice reminders, Recurring invoices, and Taxes, discounts, and shipping.
- Expenses: the software features a receipt Capture, which enables you to snapshot your receipt and instantly upload it into the system for your consent. Moreover it helps you keep records and track your expenses in tax time.
- Cloud Accounting: This feature helps you to store and daily update your data in the inventory.
- Data security: with 128-bit SSL encryption the software guarantee your data protection
How much does Quickbooks cost?
Quickbooks offer 3 pricing plans:
- Simple Plan costs $15 per month. This plan is ideal for those who just started their small business. It is for one user, plus your accountant.
- Essential Plan costs $23 per month. This one is perfect for those who are already running their business. It is for 3 users, plus your accountant.
- Plus Plan costs $31 per month. If you are looking to grow your small business, then you should consider this plan. It is for 5 users, plus your accountant.
You can sign up for a Free 1 month Trial without a credit card.
- Unlimited support
- Safe data
- Easy to use and navigate
- A total package for small business
- Robust and feature-rich
- Free mobile application
No bulk upload or import of invoices at once
Kashflow is an end to end accounting software. First, it ensures better and effective management of your invoicing, data, expenses, and more. Second, some of its essential features include invoicing, quotes, credit checks, accounting, purchase management, payroll, and reporting.
When it comes to purchases and expenses, this software allows you to create customizable purchase invoices, and send them immediately to your clients. It also helps you automate repeated purchases, especially if you frequently get invoiced from specific clients. Moreover, you can add payments and receipts on the go and manage them on a daily basis.
Mileage wise, the software guarantees all the entitled benefits by measuring, logging, and trailing all your business journey. Besides, the invoicing feature enables you to create, customized, and email all your invoices. And in order to ensure you are not late on payments, you can automate the invoices at preferred intervals.
They will get notified by reminders which will secure your payments on time. Moreover, if you link the software to payment services like PayPal, you will guarantee fast and secure payments.
How much does Kashflow cost?
Kashflow offers 3 pricing plans:
- Starter Plan costs £8+VAT per month.
- Business Plan costs £16.50+VAT per month.
- Business+payroll Plan costs £22.50+VAT per month.
- Easy quotes and invoices creation and customization
- Email integration
- VAT returns
- Training and case study video to improve your knowledge
- Great support service
Navigation can be improved
This is another great accounting software designed to empower modern small businesses around the world. There are several reasons why this software should be included on your list. The software includes advanced tools that help you streamline all your expenses.
One of the tools is called the MagicBot-an automated receipt data-entry tool which helps you extract data from receipts and turn it into a digital one. When it comes to real accounting management, this software enables you to take care of your expenses and have everything under your control. Besides all that, SlickPie is incredibly easy to use thanks to its minimalistic and intuitive design enabling its users to enjoy the best accounting experience while using it.
Some of the core features of this software include sending invoices, quotes and estimates creation, bills management, expenses, and sales tax tracking, recurring invoices and late payment reminders setups, and upload and attach files. Furthermore, you can get full financial performance reports, and you are allowed to add multiple companies and users.
How much does SlickPie cost?
SlickPie offers 2 pricing plans:
- Starter Plan is FREE. (10 companies)
- Pro Plan costs $39.95 per month. (50 companies)
- Easy quotes and invoices creation
- fast and reliable
- Easy to use interface
- Automation features
- Free plan included
- No invoices templates included
- Reporting can be improved
If you are looking for an easy to use software that will help you with your financing and more, then Kashoo is a good option to consider. From tracking expenses to invoices to reports and insights to payments and bank feeds, this accounting software got you covered.
When it comes to expenses, the software displays all your purchases on a smart inbox that detects as you classify them. You no longer need to save your receipts anymore. With this tool, you’ll be able to know where you use most of your money on.
Invoices, wise, it’s quite a simple process. All you have to do is to create customizable invoices and send them to your clients to get paid. You ‘ll see your cash flow into your inbox seamlessly and you stay updated with your client’s statements. The reports and insights are streamlined for you to see how your business is performing over time. They are easy to read and comprehend and you can easily send a snapshot to your account.
How much does Kashoo cost?
Kashoo offers 1 pricing plan and it costs $19.95 per month. If you choose to pay annually, then it costs $16.65 per month.
- Customizable costs
- Easy to navigate dashboard
- Reports and analysis are easy to understand
- Connect bank, credit, and other accounts effortlessly
- Completely encrypted and secure
- Smart inbox
- Onboarding can be improved
- More support system needed
OneUp is one of the fastest growing online accounting software for small businesses and startups. With more than 700.000 installed users, the software got lots to offer. From seamless invoicing to stress-free accounting, to up-to-date inventory and simplified CRM, your business will grow healthy and progressively.
If you are looking to save your time and focus more on what matters, the software features automatic accounting. This means it easily syncs with your bank, extracts your dealings activities, and automates 95% of your accounting. Moreover, with simple clicks, you create your quotes or estimate, turn it into an invoice, and send it instantly and directly to your suppliers.
Furthermore, you can keep on track and update your profits and losses on a daily basis. This accounting software estimates tax in an interval of time so you grasp precisely whatever requires payment.
How much does OneUp cost?
OneUp offers 5 pricing plans:
- SELF Plan costs $9 per month. It is ideal for Independent Contractors or Sole Proprietors. 1 USER only can use this account.
- PRO Plan costs $19 per month. Only 1 additional user is allowed to join.
- PLUS plan costs $29 per month, This plan is ideal for companies with a sales rep or bookkeeper and office manager. 3 users can use this account.
- TEAM Plan costs $69 per month. This plan is ideal for a team of 7 members.
- UNLIMITED plan costs $169 per month. This plan allows for Unlimited users.
- Encrypted technology
- Automated accounting
- Simple interface
- Easy to use and navigate
- Easy connection with 3rd party application partners
- No add-ons, including payroll
- Reporting and payment methods can be improved
11. Less Accounting
Accounting is not your thing? let this accounting software get the job done right for you in minutes. This is an ideal option for entrepreneurs and small businesses who dislike accounting and are seeking an easy and simple way to deal with their finance effectively and hasslefree.
The software features automated categorization of all your business expenses. These features are powered by machine learning allowing you to save time, and avoid repetitive tasks like data entry and more. We are not done with automation yet, Less Accounting connects automatically to your bank accounts in instances, displaying all your transactions.
Since it is designed for small businesses and startups with no accounting skills, the software uses simple language that is easy to understand and will get the job done. Moreover, you can easily create professional invoices that are ready to be sent. All your invoices and payment data will be automatically synced with your account. You will never lose track of your transactions and expenses. Plus, you’ll be all settled at the tax period.
How much does Less Accounting cost?
Less Accounting offers 3 pricing plans:
- Lite Plan costs $50 per month. It is ideal for self-employed professionals.
- Team Plan costs $70 per month. It is perfect for growing businesses.
- For Premium plan, you will need to schedule a call for a quote and other details
If you use the yearly plan you can enjoy a 10% discount.
- Recurring billing and automatic payments.
- Robust, and secure.
- Highly accessible
- Efficiently manage cash flow.
- Streamlined and easy to learn
Interface and navigation can be improved
12. Zoho Books
Zoho Books offer an invoice management and bill processing system, encouraging small businesses and entrepreneurs to lessen workload and improve payment efficiency.
Invoicing wise, this software allows you to add a logo, change fonts, and customize your invoice templates to best reflect your business brand. Besides, Zoho offers different payment methods for your clients to choose from including cash, check, or the Web, your customers.
Therefore, depending on the option that meets with their need, payment is made easy and faster. To ensure that your clients are paying on time, you can easily set up automated reminders to avoid chasing them over the payment.
Insights and reporting wise, you can easily turn your data into insightful information just right from your dashboard. You can check all the details on your expenses and income, more importantly on your overall business performance. Finally, to better organize your data for reporting, you can use different tags in the process. This helps filter your reports.
How much do Zoho Books cost?
Zoho Books offers 3 pricing plans:
- Basic Plan costs $9 per month per organization. In this plan, you have Up to 50 Contacts, 2 Users, and 5 Automated Workflows.
- Standard Plan costs $19 per month per organization. In this plan, you have Up to 500 Contacts, 3 Users, and 10 Automated Workflows.
- Professional plan costs $29 per month per organization. This plan includes Up to +500 Contacts, 10 Users, and 10 Automated Workflows.
- Add additional users for $2 per month and $20 per year
- Snail Mails credits $2/credit
- 50 Auto-scans $5 per month and $50 per year.
- Multi-currency pricing
- Invoices on Loop
- Transaction validation and approving feature to avoid errors
- Digital signature
- Affordable pricing plans
- No payroll
- No changes are allowed once implemented.
Once it is connected to your business bank accounts Freeagent can deliver invoices, track expenses, report performance, and more, all in one place.
Some of the core features of Freeagent include:
- Estimates and Invoices: You can professionally create, customize and send your invoices statement to your customers/clients
- Expenses: It takes none to a few seconds to snap a picture and upload it to the system. This ensures that the data in the receipts is well stored and saved.
- Time Tracking: helps you to keep a record on time.
- Self Assessment and VAT
- Corporation Tax Prediction to avoid any unwanted blows.
- Dashboard: it displays your cash flow as well as your cashflow deadlines.
- Banking: automatically connects to your account to retrieve transactions.
- Projects it displays your business performance in terms of expenses, income, and gains.
How much does FreeAgent cost?
FreeAgent offers 3 pricing plans:
- Limited company Plan costs £14.50 per month + VAT for 6 months, then just £29 per month + VAT
- Partnership LLP Plan costs £12 per month + VAT for 6 months, then just £24 per month + VAT
- Sole trader plan costs £9.50 per month + VAT for 6 months, then just £19 per month + VAT
- Cloud-based accounting system
- Time tracking
- Great reports of business performance
- Accurate and easy to use
- Apps can be improved
- More automation
Last but the least is Hiveage. Over 65.000 small businesses use this accounting software to manage and track their finances and business performance. The software is fast, secure, and intuitive.
Some of the core features of Hiveage include the online invoicing feature which enables you to create your customized invoice that perfectly reflects your brand to your clients and suppliers. In addition, you will be able to send and track invoices, promote your brand, enjoy flexible taxes, discounts, and shipping, send payment reminders and receipts, and more.
The software also enables you to deliver accurate estimates, and have your customers notified about the actual time by sending expiration notifications. Once they acquire your quote, simply turn it to an invoice. The software supports multi-currency payments for easy and smooth billing worldwide.
When it comes to financial reports, it displays your business performance in terms of finance. Other features include recurring billing, time, mileage, and expenses tracking.
How much does Hiveage cost?
Hiveage offers 4 pricing plans:
- FREE plan. This plan is typically ideal for entrepreneurs just rising; 5 clients only.
- Basic Plan costs $19 per month. This one is recommended for savvy freelancers; 50 clients only.
- Pro Plan costs $29 per month. This plan is perfect for those who are running small businesses; 250 clients, and 5 team members.
- Plus plan costs $49 per month. It is recommended for business owners with a thriving business; 1000 clients, and 10 team members.
You can sign up for the yearly plan and save up to 17%.
- Elegant and intuitive
- Easy to use
- Available for iOS and Android.
- Fast and secure
- Unlimited support
- Great billing/invoicing system
Mobile App can be improved.
If you are an entrepreneur, small business, or startup owner and looking for the best accounting software that will facilitate running your business, then there are a couple of factors to consider. You want to ensure that your accounting software got everything you need to collect all your essentials financial data and information into one central place.
1. Ease of Use
The first thing you will have to deal with when purchasing the best accounting software is the learning curve and the UI experience. Therefore, if the software is not easy to use, navigate, or comprehend, there is no point in buying it. Complicated software will only make you want to go back to your old-fashioned method instead of dealing with intricate platforms.
For this reason, make sure that the software is easy to use, the interface is simple and straightforward, and all your features are in one central place. You want to ensure that invoicing, reporting payment, and more are done with simple few clicks no more.
Complete accounting software will provide you numerous and diverse features that may not be available and convenient if you are using other accounting methods or platforms. For this reason, you should ensure that the accounting software you are choosing offers you the basic features including:
- Banking integrations for retrieved transactions.
- Reporting and analysis to track the business financial performance
- Tracking and recording your expenses, incomes, profits and more
- Sales tax
- Payment gateways
Meanwhile, other advanced features can be really helpful for time and effort saving, including recurring invoices, data entry automation, a sheer number of invoice templates, bank reconciliation, and more.
3. Customization and Automation
These two are quite important in facilitating the work progress and ensuring a smooth workflow. First, if the software allows you to customize your invoices and other tasks, then that’s an added point.
First, customization is great when it comes to reflecting your business brand and image. You will be able to use specific fonts, add your logo, and other elements that you may find important.
Second, automation, on the other hand, can you save you both time and effort, as you no longer have to repeat some of the processes all over again, every time you have to deal with banking, payments, and more. Machine learning is surely a blessing when it comes to this kind of business.
This is a very important factor to consider. Security and data protection are crucial in any business. Therefore, when purchasing the best accounting software, make sure that it offers the ultimate security measurements. You want to ensure that you have full control over who enters your account, what to see, and what to do.
Of course, no one should be able to access your account without your permission. Some software has two authentication steps to add an additional security layer to your account. Your data should be stored and saved safely and privately. In a lot of cases, you ‘ll find software that offers an encryption measure to limit unapproved access. That is to say, your data is switched into an undefined key code utilizing data encryption.
5. Pricing Plans
The cost of accounting software differs from one to another depending on the type of services and features each software offers for the users. Even within one software model, you ‘ll find a variety of pricing plans options that differ depending on your business needs. Each pricing plan has a specific set of features.
While you may find some of these features important, you can also find other features that are not needed at that stage. With that said, you have to make sure and check whether or not the plan you are choosing will fit with your needs and budget. Moreover, you can always upgrade to the next plan whenever you feel that your business is ready for the next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bookkeeping is the method of managing your financial reports and documents as a business. Some of the tasks you will need to do as a bookkeeper include, logging receipts, data entry, creating and sending invoices, tracking cash flow, payments, expense, and more, and filing financial documents.
In other words, Bookkeeping is pretty crucial to ensure that your business is growing healthy and it’s on steady progress. You will continuously be able to track, record, and manage your finances adequately and efficiently. However, if you are not into accounting and this type of task, bookkeeping software can be the right solution for you as management will become much easier and automated.
Xero is the best overall accounting software. It has everything you will need to manage and control your finance efficiently and effectively. It’s easy to use, reliable, and secured. It has great customer service in case you need further understanding of the software. Nevertheless, you can find plenty of comprehensive guides and resources on their website that can help you get started.
Our second-best option is Wave. The software offers all its features and products for FREE. All you have to do is to create your account and get yourself started. It is simple, yet, a powerful platform for entrepreneurs and small businesses.
There are several benefits of using accounting software as a business owner, entrepreneur, or even a freelancer. First, it helps in alleviating the inconvenience of old-fashioned data entry. Second, it limits the typical errors that can occur during any transactions, calculations, and more. Third, it assists users during the tax period. Also, it enables you to view and examine detailed reports of how their business’ finances performances are prospering.
Conceivably, the most significant benefit of a complete accounting system is time-saving. You no longer need to flip between those papers, trying to manually enter all the data to your computer without any errors. Now, you can cut costs on your accounting tasks, by using online software that securely and efficiently manages all your finances.
Plus, accounting software provides the facility to automate many processes and guarantee its accuracy and competence with financial statements.
In-depth financial reports can be significant for any type or size of businesses because they provide shareholders a recorded statement of where and how their cash is invested. Not only that, but it also shows how the business is performing at the financial level.
In conclusion, the best accounting software for startups and small businesses can save you money, time, and effort. This allows you to focus more on your business and important things that matter for its growth and less on accounting. Accounting tools can be super-efficient, reliable, and a secure method to manage and control your finance, hassle-free.