Employees constitute a key asset to any business in any industry, and for this reason, they matter. With that said, managing your employees can either hinder or enhance your business performance in all aspects. That is why it is crucial to have the right tools that can empower you and help you deal with challenges more efficiently.
In this article, we will briefly review the Top 20 Best Human Resources Software for Startups. These technological breakthrough solutions ensure the Human Resources processes are less challengeable and easy to manage.
But before we dig in these reviews, check out the different factors to keep in mind when purchasing your software and some of the commonly asked questions. They may help you narrow down your choice to the right one.
How to Select the Best Human Resources Software for Startups
As a matter of fact, Businesses and startups around the world, continue to face new challenges as they prosper. These challenges can be at the level of management, performance, optimization, and more. They differ depending on the industry, the number of employees, and other factors. And not dealing with them effectively can cause burnout which itself leads to other hurdles.
The best Human Resources software is one that can handle these challenges hassle-free. Undoubtedly, they are built to reduce errors and risks, automate the HR process, save time and money, and more importantly, helps you in your business growth.
Many startups need HR software to develop and retain employees, this is among other solutions. However, with the sheer number of software solutions available on the market, it became a challenge to choose the right one that meets your needs.
To make the process of purchasing the best HR software for startups easy for you, here are some of the factors that you should keep in mind.
1. Define Your Needs
With all things considered, the first factor to reflect on is your needs. Defining and understanding your needs can help you choose the most suitable software solution that goes hand in hand with what you are looking for. You have to note that not all software includes the complete set of features that your HR department is accommodated to.
Undoubtedly, you want a software that you can access to its functionalities and tools whenever and wherever you are. Evidently, this remote accessibility can allow you to check and manage files and data accordingly. A mobile app is surely a plus.
3. Customization and Automation
Customization and automation make things much easier. The software solution should be able to adjust to the internal development of your startups (or business) and your employees as well. Moreover, it is rewarding when the platform is customizable to your policies and plans. On the other hand, automation saves you time by automating your whole HR process instead of dealing manually with your daily tasks.
A system that can be set up and managed by you or your employees can be beneficial for a smooth and productive workflow.
5. Easy to Use
There is nothing more challenging in purchasing the best HR software for startups than overcomplicated software to start with. Save yourself a long and tiring learning curve, and look for software that is user friendly and easy to comprehend. Eventually, this will help you save your time and prevent any unnecessary obstructions.
First of all, pricing plans change from one software to another. In this aspect, you need to know what the prices are in the market, and are you getting the best deal or not. Many software companies as you will see on this list do not display their pricing plans. In fact, they require you to request a demo or schedule a call for pricing details, For this reason, it is important to get a comprehensive list of what’s included in each plan and the different packages available.
- Employee Scheduling: This has to do with entering information on the different working hours of each employee, shift alterations approval, shift swaps between employees.
- Employee Tracking: whether it’s attendance, working progress, or other, this feature helps keep up to date and monitor your employee’s activities and assigned tasks.
- Team Communications: chat line or email.
- Onboarding: The process of integrating new hires to your startups or business in general. A selection based on your company’s needs for specific talents, skills, or knowledge.
- Training and online learning: allow managers to give employees training to help them accomplish their goals
- Benefits administration: It deals with the process of planning, executing, and renewing a startup’s employee health insurance, retirement statements, holidays, paid time off, and parental leave.
- 401(k) management
- Recruitment/applicant portal: The applicant portal can showcase the applicant information, updates, and more. Both management and the applicant himself/herself should have easy access to make necessary changes.
- Integration: integrations can be quite beneficial as it will make other processes and operations easier to deal with. Some of the common integrations include Google suite, Microsoft office, slack, and more.
- Mobile app: easier accessibility and news/announcement /changes updating
- Performance report: Reports can help you understand the progress and objectives made by each employee. They also help you understand the skills lacking, how you can support and assist your employees in their tasks, and what you can do to enhance their performance.
- Security The best Human resource software is one that ensures the ultimate security for their employees and the company’s data in general. Since most of the software solutions are cloud-based, ensuring an encrypted data feature is essential.
Best Human Resources Software for Startups
Founded in 2008 by Ben Peterson and Ryan Sanders, BambooHR is the best HR software for startups and small to medium-sized businesses. Believing that employees are the key to a successful business, BambooHR has all the features you need to manage your people the right way.
The software showcases a number of features, including People Data and Analytics, Hiring, Onboarding, Compensation, and a champion culture. All these features help you collect, organize, and manage your employee’s lifecycle data more efficiently and effectively. Moreover, Bamboo features plenty of rich resources including, content, HR glossary, Webinars library, and more.
BambooHR does not display its pricing plans on their official website. In order to obtain more details on pricing and more, you can directly contact them on their Office Numbers:
Toll-Free: 1-866-387-9595/ Phone: 801-724-6600. Nevertheless, you can start your free trial by providing some brief information.
- Advanced reporting and analytics
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
Low performance of the mobile app
GoCo was launched in 2015 and now has over 100,000+ satisfied users. The company aims to support startups and small businesses to level up their HR game. Eventually, more focus will be shifted on important processes to ensure happy growth in all aspects.
Evidently, what makes this company unique is the way they do business. GoCo ensures maximum flexibility and customization when it comes to meet its customer’s needs.
Moreover, GoCo offers different products depending on your demands. These products include New hire onboarding, payroll, modern HR, benefits, digital e-signature for documentation, time tracking, and PTO management, and compliance.
GoCo does not display its pricing plans on their official website. You can contact them directly and get a quote. You can also schedule a demo for more details.
- Great customer services
- Easy to use
- Great flexibility and customization
Launched in 2012 as ZenPayroll, this company supports over +100,000 businesses nationwide. The platform is easy to use. It offers you the best of services including Payroll, Benefits, Hiring, and onboarding, Expert HR, Time tracking tools, Workers’ comp, 401(k) plans, and integrations.
The 401(k) plans to help your employees to develop a solid financial base for the future. In fact, employees can fix a new 401(k) in a few minutes. Afterward, they can adapt their contributions to different demands.
Gusto offers four pricing plans:
- Concierge plan costs $149 per month base price plus $12 per month per person
- Complete plan costs $39 per month base price plus $12 per month per person
- Core plan costs $39 per month base price plus $6 per month per person
- Basic plan costs $19 per month base price plus $6 per month per person
- Run four types of payroll
- Attractive and easy to use platform
- Simple installation process
- Great reports
- No free trial
- The time tracking features is on Add-on
Namely is another leading industry when it comes to the best HR software for startups and small businesses. It offers HR specialists with the needed technology, data, and assistance to grow efficiently. Namely was founded in 2012 and currently works with over 1,200 HR leaders.
The company has everything you need to build a better workplace. It features four main products, including, People Operations platform, Platform Extensions, HR Compliance Package, Enhanced Services. The first product includes different features like Employee Engagement, Onboarding, Talent Management, Benefits Administration, Payroll, HR Compliance Database, and Analytics. The extensions feature recruiting and time attendance features. On the other hand, the enhanced services cover payroll and benefits management.
Namely pricing plans are not available on their official website. You have to request a demo to comprehend how Namely HR software can benefit your startup.
- HR Advisors and experts
- Learning Management System
- Improved employees engagement
- Streamlined payroll services
- Library -webinars, ebooks, and more
No 360 integration with 3rd parties.
5. People HR
Since 2013, People HR has evolved from a team of six people to a worldwide workforce with headquarters in the UK, Europe, India, and South America. The company supports its clients with their everyday HR struggles and helps them achieve a result that makes a difference.
Some of the different features that People HR offers include HR essentials, Applicant tracking system, Performance management, High impact reporting, and Expert guidance.
Businesses can create an employee database by employing People HR and customize some elements to meet their preferences and needs effortlessly. By using these features, you will spend less time dealing with repetitive and tedious tasks. Instead, you will be able to centralize your HR data and automate your tasks.
PeopleHR offers four pricing plans:
- Team plan costs $5 per employee per month
- Professional plan costs $6 per employee per month
- enterprise plan costs $8 per employee per month
- Elite plan costs $10 per employee per month
- 4min demo
- Data centralization
- Integrations with ADP, Sage, Activpayroll, and other payroll processing services.
Swingvy is an all-in-one HR platform. Indeed, the company has everything you need to manage your employees in the best way possible. To start with, Swingvy is easy to use, and it has an attractive and intuitive interface. Undoubtedly, they offer their clients simple yet powerful tools to get things going.
All in all, Swingvy covers five main features, including a modern HR hub, Claims, payroll, simplified benefits, and mobile application. In fact, Swingvy is a centralized platform, which means all your employees’ information is collected and organized in one place.
Moreover, you can check out the user guide to comprehend the way the platform operates or if you have any inquiries.
Swingvy offers three pricing plans:
- Premium plan costs $5 per employee per month.
- Payroll and Premium plan costs $10 per employee per month. This plan is the most popular among subscribers.
- Payroll plan costs $5 per employee per month.
You can save 15% if billed annually.
- Centralized platform
- Simple Leave Management system
- Real-time Reports
With over 11k businesses and nonprofits trust Zenefits, 400k empowered employees, 50+ tech integrated partners, Zenefits is surely a leading industry in the HR realm. The company was founded in 2014 and was recognized as one of the fastest-growing software tech companies in history.
To start with, Zenefits has four main products, including HR, Payroll, Benefits, and Time scheduling.
With the HR products, Zenefits helps you tackle your HR needs and struggles hassle-free. It follows you step by step to ensure consistent and efficient performance. In order to save time and effort, the new hires can onboard by themselves thanks to data synchronization to Benefits and Payroll.
Moreover, the platform is easy to use and helps manage your workforces. The best thing is that employees can update their own information and stay on record. Indeed, this self-service system is quite effective and helps you stay up-to-date with new changes.
Zenefits offers three pricing plans:
- Zen plan costs $27 per employee per month.
- Growth plan costs $18 per employee per month. This plan is the most popular among subscribers.
- Essentials plan costs $10 per employee per month.
Some Add-ons may interest you:
- Payroll costs $6 per month per employee
- Advisory services cost $10 per month per employee
- Benefits Admin Using Own Broker costs $5 per month per employee
- Self serve system
- Detailed reports
- Mobile accessibility
Customer service performance is low
If you are looking for the best customer support model, configuration capabilities, unified design software, then you should check out APS. The team behind APS works hard and pays much attention to details when it comes to yçour HR challenges and needs.
APS offers unified solutions for different types of industries, including Education, Financial Services, Healthcare, hospitality, Manufacturing, Nonprofits, and many more. When it comes to services, APS features a Core HR where you can manage Benefits Administration and overall Performance. The Core HR helps you automate all your tasks and manage your employee’s life cycle more efficiently.
The company uses a smart approach to employee management by using smart technology, automated data entry, advanced real-time HR analytics, and more. When it comes to the different features available, such as onboarding, event tracking, performance management, carrier connections, ACA compliance, and more.
APS Payroll does not display their pricing plans on their official website. However, APS Payroll pricings are based on 25-100 employees. To get a quote, you need to enter some details or contact a sales representative.
- Plethora of features
- Advanced reporting
- Functions automation
- Rich and helpful resources
No free trial
Trusted by 7,000,000+ organizations, Bitrix24 is another all in one platform. To start with, the company has classified its solutions depending on the role, industry, need, tool, and business size.
Therefore, your solution can be easily tailored to meet your needs. Moreover, you can have access to plenty of free tools and features for client management, tasks, and projects, customer support, internal communications, and e-commerce.
Bitrix24 has two types of pricing; Cloud and On-premise.
Cloud pricing plans:
- Start+ plan costs $24 for 2 users per month
- CRM+ plan costs $69 for 6 users per month
- Project+ plan costs $69 for 24 users per month
- Standard plan costs $99 for 50 users per month
- Professional plan costs $199 per month for an unlimited number of users.
On-premise pricing plans:
- Bitrix24.CRM plan costs $1,490 for 12 users.
- Business plan costs $2,990 for 50 users.
- Enterprise plan costs $24,990 for 1000 users.
- Plenty of helpful resources (webinars, how-to-videos, testimonials, guides, and more)
- Video conferencing and enhanced communications
- IP telephony
- Limited mobile app functionalities
CakeHR is the best overall HRIS/HRMS software for startups and small businesses since it includes Core HR, Leave management, Performance, Shift scheduling, timesheets, expenses, recruitment, reporting, mobile, onboarding, and interactions.
Further, the software is easy to set up. First, you onboard your employees. Second, you automate your HR process. And finally, you apply filters and create insightful reports.
CakeHR pricing plans are based on the type of module you need. If you are choosing the Core HR Leave management Module, then the pricing is :
- $5.5 per employee per month
- Great User Interface
- Reliable and well-built functionalities
- Calendar and outlook integration
More improvement on the mobile app
11. Cezanne HR
Cezanne HR provides a 100% web-based HR system that is ideal for startups and small to midsize businesses. More importantly, the software features People Management as its core module. Furthermore, it includes other interesting features such as Onboarding & Lifecycle, Absence Management, Payroll, Time Tracking, Performance Management, Career & Succession Planning, and Online Recruitment. With that said, it allows you to follow up with training, benefits, and time-off requests and save data reports.
By using Cezanne, you can profit from a smart, configurable, and extensive human resources management system that is responsive, simple to manage, and costs a portion of the price value of traditional form business systems.
Cezanne HR pricings are based on the type of modules and the number of employees you have. The different modules include People, Onboarding, Lifecycle, Absence, Time, Performance, Career and succession, and recruitment.
- Great customer support
- User-friendly interface
- Configurable and modern
- Information and reports functionalities are exceptional
Paycor is ideal for startups and almost all sizes of businesses. To start off, Paycor allows you to have full control over the different functionalities available. Whether you want to add, remove, or shut off functions, you can easily do it thanks to the modular format.
To point out, Paycor is a comprehensive HRIS/HRMS software. Undoubtedly, it provides an end-to-end solution for hiring, onboarding, communicating, training, and rewarding workers.
Paycor pricings are not available on their official website. You need to contact a sales representative. You can request a consultation or call them on this following number 833.591.0198
- Applicant tracking system
- Real-time data insights
- A marketplace
More enhancement on the scheduling system performance
13. Sage HRMS
Founded in 1981 by David Goldman, Sage currently has over 13,000 employees assisting customers in 23 countries throughout Europe, Africa, Australia, Asia, Latin America, and North America. With that said, Sage is another top leading company when it comes to the best HR software for startups.
Given that businesses face different challenges on a daily basis, Sage HRMS categorizes its solutions, based on the size of businesses, industries, and needs. With that said, it ensures that the solutions offered are perfectly tailored to your needs.
When it comes to HR and CRM, Sage offers different products, including Sage HRMS, which is a customizable, on-premise human capital management software. Second, Sage HRMS, which is a global cloud HR and People system developed on the Salesforce platform. Finally, we have Sage CRM, which helps deliver a more satisfying customer experience.
- Plenty of products
- Tailored solutions
- Offer a powerful record reporting function.
- Great customization
It can be over complicated for some.
14. ClearCompany HRM
Clear Company HR has been operating for over 15 years now. The software lets you plan effectively, Track recruiting, Onboard new hires, Align with your team goals, manage performance, and finally, engage A players. Besides, the software is suitable for different industries, including education, energy, financial, Government, Healthcare, retail, and more.
ClearCompany HRM pricings are not available on their official website. You need to contact a sales representative, request a demo, and get a quote.
- Attractive portal
- Intuitive User Interface
- Mobile Friendly
- Compliance and I-9 Management
- Intelligent Forms
Customer support performance is low.
PeopleSpheres solutions are categorized into two classifications. The first one is by roles, and it includes HR, Manager, Collaborator, and CIO. The second is by company size, and it incorporates both small to businesses and large companies.
For one thing, the software is easy to use and integrate. With simple steps, you can start connecting to your already existing HR software, add your modules, and manage all processes from a centralized platform.
For more information on PeopleSphere pricing plans or the Peoplespheres solution, reach out to their Contact page, or request a Free Trial.
- Real-time reports
- Customizable HR dashboard
- Data synchronization
- QWL assessment tool
JazzHR is a compelling, user-friendly new hires onboarding software that mounts your ability to locate and select excellent talents. First of all, JazzHR helps you personalize and customize your process and assets to promote your brand while providing a more compatible applicant experience.
More importantly, it helps you to locate and source the most suitable and qualified candidates for your offers quickly and effectively. Nevertheless, other features this software offers include applicant tracking, ranking and managing, automation, compliance, and reporting.
Jazz HR offers three plans:
- Hero plan costs $39 per month on an annual plan. This plan includes unlimited users and three open jobs.
- Plus plan costs $219 per month on an annual plan. It includes an unlimited number of users and unlimited open jobs.
- Pro plan costs $329 per month on an annual plan. This plan also includes an unlimited number of users and unlimited open jobs.
- Candidate texting cost $29 per month
- A dedicated account manager costs $99 per month
- All-access support costs $49 per month
- Career page customization costs $39 per month
- Bulk emails cost start $29 per month
- Single sign-on costs $29 per month
- Flexible and user friendly
- Outstanding email templates
- Customization and personalization
In-app functionalities need more improvement
Effortless is an All-in-one web-based employee management. Not only it features a white label HR software solution, but it also includes security info, employee handbook builder, and webinars.
Particularly, the HR management system enables you to have an online HR database where you can have full access to different files and information 24/7. On the other hand, it allows your employees to keep up-to-date with the company announcement and news, update profiles, request leave, and more. Besides, the software also features a PTO track and Leave management.
Effortless HR offers three pricing plans:
- Basic plan costs $39 per month or $336 yearly. This plan includes 20 users and 500 MB Online file storage space.
- Plus, the plan costs $120 per month and $1200 yearly. It includes 100 users and 3.000 MB Online file storage space.
- The Ultimate plan costs $235 per month and $2350 yearly. This plan includes 500 users and 10.000 MB Online file storage space.
- Easy to use time clock
- Cloud storage of documents
- Great customer service
- Great tools and resources
Limited reporting system
ZohoPeople is another popular HR Software for business and startups. To start with, the software is tailored to ensure an efficient and fast-growing workforce. Undoubtedly, ZohoPeople is outfitted with a plethora of different features.
Remain assured that you will find a solution for your needs.
For instance, the software includes four main features that are then divided into sub-features.
The main features include HR essential, HRMS, automation and customization, and finally, HR analytics.
All in all, this software lets you manage your employee database, onboard, and attendance tracking, schedule shifts, automate, and customize your HR process.
Zoho People offers five pricing plans:
- Essential HR plan costs $1 per user per month
- Professional plan costs $2 per user per month
- Premium plan costs $3 per user per month
- Enterprise plan costs $5 per user per month
- People Plus plan costs $10 per user per month
It includes a FREE plan.
- Zoho Recruit costs $50 per recruiter per month
- Advanced analytics
- GPS and mobile attendance
- Payroll integration
Glitchy mobile app
BerniePortal is all about “Less Paperwork and Better HR.” Notably, the software is all in one HR solution that makes People Management easy and effective.
Overall, the software enables you to improve your hiring process, manage the applicant pools, manage benefits, and most importantly, boost performance and productivity.
BerniePortal offers a full HR packages pricing plan that includes:
- Applicant Tracking System costs $5 per employee per month with a $15 base fee.
- PTO Tracking costs $5 per employee per month with a $15 base fee.
- Time & Attendance costs $5 per employee per month with a $15 base fee.
- Compliance costs $5 per employee per month with a $15 base fee.
- Performance Management costs $5 per employee per month with a $15 base fee.
- Self-service platform
- Saves time
- Seamless integrations
- Customization options
Slow customer service
Last but not least on our list of the best HR software for startups and business is Kronos Workforce Ready.
In general, products are categorized based on Business needs, industries, and product suites. The business needs different solutions, which are workforce management, Human capital management, and finally, compliance and regulations.
Kronos pricing plans are not available on their official website. To know more about it, you can either complete a short form or call (800) 225-1561
- A plethora of essential features
- Rich resources and insights
- Innovative tools
Frequently Asked Questions
HRMS is a software solution that gives the power of technology to manage HR processes in any type or size of businesses. More importantly, it seeks to improve the performance and productivity of your organization.
It offers you tools and features by which you can automate manually-handled tasks.
Consequently, your HR department can control and direct the processes thoroughly and gain more time to focus on other crucial operations to grow your business.
BambooHR is the best Human Resource software for startups.
Comparatively, the software has proved to be one of the best-outfitted software with powerful features, easy to use to the platform, and an intuitive interface.
Comes following GoCo, Namely, and Kronos Workforce are also great options for those who are looking for tailored solutions. Nevertheless, our list includes the best software solutions out there, and they all differ depending on your needs and budget.
As a startup owner, managing your employees while dealing with other crucial operations can be challenging.
Not only that but as a startup manager, here are some indications on why you should use an HR software:
a. You are still using a spreadsheet to manage your HR processes and operations. While spreadsheets are not bad for specific tasks, they are not ideal for tracking, managing, and directing different administrative responsibilities.
b. Spending countless hours on administrative tasks while you should be focusing on more crucial processes.
c. There is NO organization. Everything is a MESS.
d. You are currently hiring more employees than ever to manage your HR activities.
a. Enhance your HR team efficiency
b. Effective and streamlined People Management
c. Save your time and money
d. Reduce manual tasks and paperwork
e. KPI monitoring
f. Supports employee self-service
g. Omits errors and risks
h. Data protection and privacy
i. Guarantees compliance
Using a SaaS HR software is more convenient than on-premise. Given that this former is based on a subscription payment method rather than buying the whole software. The company allows you to use it for a period of time, depending upon your chosen plan or module. More importantly, most HR solutions are web-based and do not require any installation or complicated setup.
In brief, the Best Human Resources HR software for startups are critical aspects of any contemporary business, be it onboarding, payroll, productivity, or development. Certainly, it needs a high level of efficiency, and even a sparse error can be costly.
Nevertheless, with a cloud-based Human Resources software solution, you can now automate all your HR tasks and guarantee error-free operations.